WHO AM I, EXACTLY?!

Hey you, random stranger reading this!

Welcome to my journey (although this is low key just a blog where I rant about said journey. Shh.).
Introductions are awkward, but here goes everything.

My name's Chiaki, and as most of you will probably realize from my name, I am Japanese.
I was born in Saitama, Japan, and raised by two very conventional Japanese parents. My mother being the nurturing, you-need-to-have-Japanese-value mom, and my father being the work-dedicated, you-need-to-learn-how-to-save-money dad.

The only twist to this story is that a year after I was born, my entire family moved to Malaysia, and I remained there for the next twenty years. I went to a tiny international school and eventually enrolled in a private university in Malaysia. Throughout my entire childhood and latter university years, I was primarily educated in English. I only spoke Japanese to my parents and relatives, all of whom are not well-versed with the language.

After completing my studies, I thought it would be a smooth transition from being a student to being a working adult in Malaysia; but of course, visa problems. Eventually, the idea of staying in Malaysia and settling down and living happily ever after did not fall through, so I moved to Japan. For the first time in my life.

After. Twenty. Years. Of. Living. Somewhere. Else.

In this blog, I'll be sharing stories about my new life here in Japan and how I went about doing certain things on my own (like getting a hand phone number, getting my own room, etc.).

The point of this blog is to share some of my "strategies" as a returnee, as well as my third culture view of things, in hopes that I get to exchange some of my views with others who have similar experiences as I do! If you are reading this and are a returnee like me (regardless or where you lived before you returned), please know that you are NOT ALONE!

Much love,
Chiaki
x


Comments